A Company’s First Steps Toward Exporting
Although every company is different, for the sake of this article we will imagine a company that is at the very beginning of their export journey. Through an initial complimentary consultation meeting between Kansas Global and your CEO, we learn about you, your business, your goals, your interest in exporting, and work together to assess whether you have an exportable product or service. Kansas Global supports Kansas companies interested in exporting through all stages of the export process, from experienced exporters to those exploring exporting abroad for the first time. Then, through International Business Consulting, we provide custom guidance and deliverables.
How Do I Know If I Am a Business That Can Export?
Kansas Global can help you assess your export readiness, but if your company can answer “yes” to most or all of these questions, you may be a good candidate for exporting.
- Does your business have a product or service that has been successful domestically?
- Is the intellectual property for your product protected domestically and internationally?
- Does your business have the production capacity to meet increased sales?
- Can you price your product competitively in a foreign market?
- Does your management team have the capacity and commitment to pursue an export plan?
- Is exporting a part of your company’s goals and strategy?
Together, we will consider more complex questions such as these:
- Why do you want to export? What is motivating your desire to take your company abroad? We will help you gauge your company’s commitment level.
- Where in the world makes the most sense to export your product or service? What problem might we solve for a particular international market? With your knowledge of your company and our knowledge of international markets and access to market research, we will help you find the right fit.
- Are there any regulatory restrictions or additional costs for your product or service going abroad – either domestically or in the foreign market? We will help you figure out if the numbers make sense for your business.
- Do you have the capacity to dedicate time and financial resources to do the proper market research, partner/distributor search, and have the regulatory and logistical setup to make an international move strategic and successful?
What Happens Next
If your company is ready to commit to exporting, we can chart a custom export path forward for you. Often this path includes market research, finding and vetting distributors, and making connections for your business. Our goal is to help your company experience the success of exporting. Kansas Global is here to guide your company forward. Schedule a consultation to assess whether your company is ready to export.